Here is our latest monthly theme pack of FRI resources, this month about conservation agriculture. The theme pack includes ten scripts and other items from Resource Packs and thirteen Farmer stories and other resources from Barza Wire.
- Kuapa, nea ofo dua pa na yepia no (Help is given only to those who make an effort): Farmers try no-till farming in Ghana’s Ashanti Region
- Local farmers find ways to scale-up conservation agriculture to larger areas
- Women farmers using conservation agriculture offer tips to increase yield
- Kenyan woman embraces conservation farming and betters her life
- The success story of Agatha Ngoma, a small-scale farmer in Zambia: Conservation agriculture for better yields
- Is Tillage Really Necessary? The Benefits of Conservation Agriculture
- Using permanent soil cover in conservation agriculture
- Backgrounder: Conservation agriculture
- Backgrounder: Using conservation tillage and soil cover in Conservation agriculture
- The Promise of Conservation Agriculture
Barza Wire stories
- Ghana: Farmers learn no-till to increase productivity and income
- Tanzania: Women farmers find solutions to heavy workload in conservation agriculture
- Zambia: Farmers use special equipment to save time and labour in conservation agriculture
- Tanzania: Farmers use different tools to expand no-till farmland
- Malawi: Mice, fires, and hungry livestock challenge farmers wanting to use crop residues
- Zambia: Conservation agriculture helps fight climate change and hunger (IPS)
- Zambia: By-laws help farmers practice conservation farming
- Tanzania: Reduced tilling brings big rewards for millet and sorghum farmers
- Tanzania: Keeping cattle off farmland for better soil
- Malawi: Letina Gondwe adopts labour-saving conservation agriculture techniques to benefit her health
- Southern Africa: Conservation methods help farmers cope with climate change, high fertilizer costs (New Era, UN Integrated Regional Information Networks
Barza Wire resources
Resources available in Swahili
- Taarifa za awali: Kilimo Hifadhi
- Mwanamke Mkenya aliyejikita kwenye kilimo hifadhi na kuboresha maisha yake
- Tanzania: Utifuaji mdogo wa udongo unawalipa wakulima wa mtama na uwele
Resource available in Amharic
We hope that this kind of “one-stop shop” on selected topics is useful, and that you can use the resources in this month’s theme pack to make effective programming on conservation agriculture.
Many of these resources and resources were created with the support of Canadian Foodgrains Bank as part of the project,“Conservation Agriculture for building resilience, a climate smart agriculture approach.” This work is funded by the Government of Canada, through Global Affairs Canada, www.international.gc.ca.
Please note that two of the older scripts were written when FRI was known as DCFRN, or the Developing Countries Farm Radio Network.