The theme pack includes 15 items from our Resource Packs and 13 Farmer stories from Barza Wire, including 6 Resource Pack items and 2 Farmer stories in Swahili.
- Backgrounder: Cassava mosaic disease
- Backgrounder: Post-harvest activities in cassava
- Issue Pack: Cassava value chain in Tanzania – production
- One head cannot lift a roof (Mutu umodzi susenza denga)
- Garbage in, garbage out: Plant healthy cassava cuttings to keep your garden free of cassava mosaic disease
- Cassava is wealth: New harmonized standards for processing cassava flour in East and Central Africa
- The Root of Life
- Farmers Experiment and Discover: You Can Store Cassava
- How radio programs helped cassava farmers manage cassava mosaic disease in Malawi
- Ugandan farmers fight cassava mosaic disease with clean planting materials
- Not all mosaics are lovely: Fighting cassava mosaic disease, cassava’s deadliest virus
- Delicious cassava recipes improve family nutrition
- Processing cassava brings wealth to farmers
- It’s better to sell together: The benefits of collective marketing
- Cassava: A poor man’s crop no longer!
Barza Wire stories
- Congo: Farmers in Kifouma rely on bitter cassava for improved production
- Tanzania: Farmers start growing cassava as a cash crop because of high demand
- Tanzania: Women farmers look for flexible loans to expand cassava operations
- Tanzania: Village cassava processing means more profit for farmers
- Tanzania: Radio and SMS help cassava farmers adapt to drought
- Tanzania: Farmers boost incomes by multiplying new cassava varieties
- Uganda: Farmers switch from local to improved varieties of cassava
- Malawi: The variety makes the difference for farmers fighting cassava mosaic disease
- Malawi: Handle with care: Farmers learn to prevent cassava mosaic disease
- Gabon: Turning cassava into chikwangue to save for a house
- Rwanda: New cassava varieties offer hope after cassava mosaic disease ravages crop
- Cameroon: High school student makes money by processing cassava
- Malawi: Farmers erect fences to protect cassava from goats
Resources available in Swahili
- Kidole kimoja hakiui chawa
- Taka ndani, Taka nje: Panda vipando salama vya mihogo kuepuka ugonjwa wa Batobato shambani mwako
- Ni muhimu kuuza kwa pamoja: Faida za soko la pamoja
- Mapishi bora ya ,ihogo yaboresha afya ya familia
Barza Wire stories:
- Tanzania: Wakulima kuanza kuzalisha mihogo kama zao la kibiashara kutokana na ongezeko la hitaji
- Tanzania: Wanawake wakulima watafuta mikopo nafuu kuongeza uzalishaji wa mihogo
We hope that this kind of “one-stop shop” on selected topics is useful, and that you can use the resources in this month’s theme pack to make effective programming on cassava.
Please use and enjoy these resources. Let us know if they’re useful—and exactly how you use them!
Please note that one of the older scripts was written when FRI was known as DCFRN, or the Developing Countries Farm Radio Network.
This theme pack was created with the support of AGRA, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa, as part of the project, “Integrated project to increase income and improve food security and livelihood among smallholder farmers in the Western Tanzania/ Kigoma region.” The views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of AGRA or any other organization.