Here is our latest monthly theme pack of FRI resources, this month about Fall armyworm, the pest that has been causing such damage in maize and other crops across much of Africa. The theme pack includes three items from our Resource Packs: one backgrounder and two interview scripts. All three items are available in Amharic and the backgrounder is available in Swahili as well. The theme pack also includes nine Barza Wire Farmer stories and four other Barza Wire resources. Four Barza Wire stories are available in Amharic.
- Keeping an eye on Fall armyworm: Monitoring the pest so it doesn’t destroy your maize
- Using chemical pesticides safely: The case of Fall armyworm in Ethiopia
Barza Wire stories
- Benin & Zimbabwe: Farmers face fall armyworms armed with pesticides
- Malawi: Farmers use plant-based pesticides to control Fall armyworm and other pests
- Ethiopia: Farmers plant late, monitor early to manage Fall armyworm
- Ethiopia: Farmers manage Fall armyworm with cultural practices
- Ethiopia: Maize farmers grow special plants to manage Fall armyworm
- Ethiopia: Farmers handpick and use other methods to manage Fall armyworm
- DRC: Farmers test three methods to manage Fall armyworm
- Tanzania: Farmers and researchers scramble for solutions to Fall armyworm ahead of maize season
- Zimbabwe: Farmers brace for a bad season as Fall armyworm looms
Other Barza Wire resources
- Spotlight: Radio programs on Fall armyworm in Uganda
- Spotlight: Nakaseke Radio goes on air and online to alert farmers about Fall armyworm
- Spotlight: Radio hosts fight Fall armyworm with interviews and information
- Resources: Fall armyworm: Resources and information
Resource available in Swahili
Taarifa za awali
Resources available in Amharic
This backgrounder is also available in Oromifa: Barruu Bu’uuraa:Buuqataa “Fall”
- ፈጣን ሁሉን አውዳሚ ተምችን በአንክሮ መከታተል: የቦቆሎ ምርትዎን እንዳያወድም ተምቹን መቆጣጠር
- ተባይ መከላከያ ኬሚካልን በጥንቃቄ መጠቀም፡የአዲሱ ተምች ሁኔታ በኢትዮጵያ
Barza Wire stories
- ኢትዮጵያ: አርሶ አደሮች ፈጣን ሁሉን አውዳሚ ተምችን ለመቆጣጠር አዘግይቶ መዝራትን እና አስቀድሞ መቆጣጠርን ይጠቀማሉ
- ኢትዮጵያ: አርሶ አደሮች የተለያዩ ባህላዊ ዘዴዎችን እየተጠቀሙ ፈጣን ሁሉን ሰአውዳሚ ተምችን ይቆጣጠራሉ ፡፡
- ኢትየፐጵያ: የቦቆሎ አርሶ አደሮች ፈጣን ሁሉን አውዳሚ ተምችን ለመቆጣጠር ልዩ ዛፎችን ያበቅላሉ
- ኢትዮጵያ : አርሶ አደሮች ፈጣን ሁሉን አውዳሚ ተምችን ለመቆጣጠር በእጅ መልቀምን እና የተለያዩ ዘዴዎችን ይተገብራሉ
We hope that this kind of “one-stop shop” on selected topics is useful, and that you can use the resources in this month’s theme pack to make effective programming on Fall armyworm.
Please use and enjoy these resources. Let us know if they’re useful—and exactly how you use them!
This work was created with the support of the USAID Feed the Future Ethiopia Value Chain Activity as part of the project, “ICT-enabled Radio Programming on Fall Armyworm (FAWET).