Here is our theme pack of FRI resources for June. This month, to mark the World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought on June 17, we focus on resources related to desertification, drought, and growing food crops in dry lands.
The theme pack includes 10 items from our Resource Packs: seven interview scripts, two dramas, and one backgrounder. The theme pack also includes seven Barza Wire Farmer stories.
- Water-efficient gardens: Water is life.
- Raising goats to beat the drought in eastern Kenya
- Farmers in Niger benefit from letting trees grow in their fields
- Improved honey production and processing in dryland Kenya
- Micro-doses of fertilizer increase yields in the Sahel
- Mangoes can be a good investment for farmers in drylands
- Grow more food in dry lands with planting pits
Barza Wire stories
- Nigeria: Government support needed for farmers to fight desertification, experts say
- Zimbabwe & Burkina Faso: Farmers tackle desertification and soil degradation with manure and zai pits
- Kenya: Farmers grow mukau tree as protection against drought
- Tanzania: Radio and SMS help cassava farmers adapt to drought
- Kenya: Herders swap livestock for chilies as drought hits hard
- Zimbabwe: Micro-dosing fertilizer boosts yield despite drought
- Kenya: Water storage helps farmers thrive during drought
The following resources are available in Hausa
We hope that this kind of “one-stop shop” on selected topics is useful, and that you can use the resources in this month’s theme pack to make effective programming on desertification.